Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: Sephora + Pantone Blush Duo

I've taken quite a few looks at the Sephora + Pantone collection, but I had managed to resist for quite a while.  And then Sephora had their VIB 15% off sale.  And I made the mistake of looking at the collection in person.

The packaging is stunning.  It's a shame in some respects I guess, because what are you going to do with it? It is really heavy duty and the variety of colors and textures is really pretty.  (Scroll down for pictures of the packaging.)  

And then there is the blush duo ...  Again, the packaging is fantastic.  It's a square white palette with two large wells.  The semi-opaque plastic lid is held on like magnets - much like the Inglot square eyeshadow quads, though they aren't identical packaging (I checked.  LOL. Nerd).

I am very amused by the fact that this is the "Blush of the Year" Duo.  And then there's another "Blush of the Year" single.  So yes, 3 "blush of the year" releases.  And as a couple of other bloggers have pointed out (most notably, Elvira at PinkSith who picked up the Tangerine Tango Creme Lipstick), these colors aren't tangerine tango.

For reference, here is the Tangerine Tango swatch from Pantone:



Don't get me wrong.  I love both of these colors.  They are beautiful pinky coral blushes.  But they aren't anywhere close to the actual Pantone Tangerine Tango color.  I'm not upset about that.  I get that the whole Tangerine Tango thing is a gimmick and I am more than happy with the color of these blushes.



The duo retails for $26 dollars and each of the 2 wells contains almost 11g of product.  That's 22g of product total.  Compare that to the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes which retails for $25 and contain about 5.5g of product.

As far as a blush duo goes, I really feel like they hit it out of the park.  The colors fit with the Tangerine Tango theme, while being considerably more wearable than the true Tangerine Tango swatch.  The two colors are different enough that they don't feel redundant.  

The matte shade, Desert Flower is Pantone #15-1435 (described as "light orange matte") is a pinky peach, more peach than pink, but still pinker than something like MAC's Immortal Flower.  I definitely wouldn't qualify it as "light orange".

Desert Flower - matte


The shimmery shade, Coral is Pantone #15-1439 (described as "color of the year with gold shimmer").  I did swatch it right next to Nars Orgasm for comparison and now of course, I managed to leave the photo on my other computer.  Bah.  It is really similar to Orgasm, but slightly pinker.

Coral - shimmer

The texture on both of the blushes is very workable.  They aren't the most creamy or finely milled product I've ever used, but do blend easily and have very good pigmentation.  

I personally really like both of these colors and I own at least half a dozen blushes in similar colors (the first step is admitting you have a problem).  The amount of product you get for your money is fantastic.  The colors are in keeping with the theme, but they are very different.  I love that one is matte and one is shimmer.

Overall: 9/10







4 comments:

  1. Wow thats pretty! Im on a real coral kick at the moment! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be on a perpetual coral bender. lol.

      Delete
  2. I love the swatches, and you are right they look ALOT more wearable than the true tangerine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad that they parted from the swatch and came up with something that's flattering on a lot of skintones.

      Delete