Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review: NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer

At the end of February, I picked up a sample of the NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer in Finland (the color, not the country) at the NARS counter of my local Nordstrom (before it was in wide release).  I did a first impressions post here.  I loved the product, but $42 for something labeled a tinted moisturizer is pretty steep in my book, so I held off ... for a while.

Mid-March I went ahead and picked up a full size tube, again in Finland, the lightest shade.  Unlike a lot of tinted moisturizer lines which offer a very limited color range, the NARS line has a whopping 9 shades.  

NARS says that Finland is "Lightest with a neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones".  You can judge for yourself from the swatch below.  I don't think it's neutral.  I think it's yellow.  But sheered out, it looks fine on my pinky skin.

I was surprised by the fact that this tinted moisturizer actually moisturizes.  I've tried several that were just runny foundations.  But this formula is very hydrating on my skin.  It contains SPF 30, which I love.  I really try to wear at least SPF 50 on my face though, so I usually go ahead and apply my regular sunscreen under the tinted moisturizer.  It isn't ideal, but it works.





So I know this is called a tinted moisturizer.  I think that name is incredibly misleading, but in a good way.  The amount of coverage that I get from this tinted product far exceeds the coverage I get from some of my foundations.

I still get a little oily in the T-zone with this product, but nothing bad and certainly no worse than I get from my regular foundations sans primer.  I don't wear this every day, probably more like every other day.  According to NARS, this product is supposed to "reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and dark spots for a brighter natural glow."  I will say that I have noticed some of my hyperpigmentation improving.  I can't say for sure that it's because of this product, but it's possible.

I feel like I'm pussyfooting around the issue, so maybe I should just come out and say it.  THIS STUFF IS MAGIC.  Ahem.  I feel better now.  

The only downside is that it has a fairly magical pricetag as well, $42 for 1.9oz.  Compare that to NARS Sheer Glow foundation which is also $42 but for only 1oz of product and I guess it's not so bad.  The Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is also $42, but for only 1.5oz of product.  Gah, I don't know.  I still feel like $42 for something called a tinted moisturizer is insane.  But at the end of the day, I do love this stuff.  And I do feel like even at this price point, it delivers.

Overall:  9/10




8 comments:

  1. NARS has some great products! I love a good tinted moisturizer, will definitely check this one out. Great review!

    http://superpurdy.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you try it, do a review. I'd love to see what you think.

      Delete
  2. YAY!!! Another convert. It is magic! And think of all the money you will save not having to purchase Lighteners and sunscreen and moisturizer. it's 4 products in one. A bargain! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Oh trust me, I'm desperately trying to convince myself it's a bargain.

      Delete
  3. Great review! Sounds like something I would really like. Think I will go get a sample. Thanks, Indie! :+)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if it works out for you. I am very impressed with it.

      Delete
  4. I really want to buy a tinted mosturiser/bb cream and so far I couldn't get a sample of Finland. No way I'm buying it before I try it out :)
    This one gets rave reviews but my concern is that it is yellow and that I don't know how it will react to my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would definitely try before you buy. It does lean yellow, but once it's blended out on the skin it really doesn't look yellow.

      Delete