Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: Smashbox Photo Op Eye Enhancing Palette - Brown Eyes




Soft Trio
  • marble - silvery pinkish taupe - frost finish, no glitter
  • wine - burgundy with pink glitter
  • bark - greenish/gold/brown with gold glitter

Smoky Trio
  • vanilla - matte cream
  • brazilian bronze - gold/brown with a metallic finish
  • navy - matte navy

For the last 10 days I've been exclusively using this palette and for the most part, it has performed fantastically well. The palette itself is quite versatile. While I'm not sold on the idea of only wearing certain colors based on your eye color, I do like the colors in this palette and I think they could be used on any eye color. There are a variety of colors and finishes which can be combined in a multitude of ways.



The mattes in this palette are phenomenal. They are so incredibly creamy and pigmented. They are just fantastic. I didn't think that anybody could do a better matte than Inglot, but I have to say the mattes in this palette are even creamier. It's not that the other finishes in this palette are bad, it's just that the mattes are so fantastic.


I can tell you I'm going to hit pan on the vanilla shade in this palette long before any other color because it is such a staple for my skintone.


The navy matte from the smoky trio reads much more navy in the pan than it does on the skin. On the skin it is a much brighter blue.


The brown shades are both solid performers with good pigmentation.


Marble, the pinky taupe color, is really beautiful, but subtle.


For me the biggest, and really only, disappointment in this palette was wine, the glittery burgundy shade. It's a glitter shade so you get best payoff with it by putting it on with a laydown brush, but since I really don't care to wear colors like this across the lid, I was stuck trying to blend it out in the crease. When you try and blend this color it just falls apart. The glitter is gone and you lose all the purple shading and it becomes just a dirty gray color which is very apparent in the swatch below. Like I said, I'm sure if I had applied it more carefully it would have worked out a lot better but I'm not a fan of shadows that have to be handled this carefully.




The palette itself is really sturdy and makes great use of space. It is small and compact, which I really liked. At first it was a little disconcerted to get something so small after spending so much money, but like I said, after having fought with overly large palettes, I've come to really appreciate the concise manner of this palette.





Smashbox has a series of these palettes. There are also palettes for blue and hazel eyes. They are $42 from Sephora.

Overall: 8/10.

4 comments: