Monday, April 9, 2012

Review: MAC Cream Colour Base in Pearl

I'm still toying with how to structure the next couple of posts and if any of you have feedback on what you'd like to see, please leave a comment.  I think what I'm going to do is review 3 (or maybe 4) individual products and then at the end, do a post comparing them with each other.  I'll probably do an accompanying YouTube video.

So the first of the higher end highlighters I'm going to cover is the venerable MAC Cream Colour Base in Pearl.  

In the US, it retails for $17.50 and you get 3.2g of product.

Blurb from MAC:

Versatile and multi-purpose, Cream Colour Base can be applied directly to bare skin, or layered over foundation, moisturizer, or powder. Apply with a brush, sponge, or fingers. Colour effects range from a light veil to highly dramatic, depending on method of application. Fragrance-free. 

There's a reason this product is the go-to cheekbone, brow and cupid's bow highlighter for so many people.  It's awesome.  It has this really beautiful iridescent white gold finish without having any chunky glitter.  Applied lightly it just gives this beautiful sort of glowy effect.

It's not quite as versatile in application as some highlighters.  It's definitely meant for spot highlighting.  You don't want to put this all over your face and you can't really mix it with foundation or anything like that.  (Well, I suppose you could, but I can't imagine why you'd want to.)  You do have to be careful not to over do it as you can end up looking greasy.

When I use it, I generally put some on the pads of my fingers, wipe most of it off on the back of my hand and then take whatever remains and tap it very gently along the tops of my cheekbones and across my brow bones.  It has a beautiful finish that is neither glittery (like NARS albatross) nor overly shimmery (like NARS Illuminator in Copacabana). 

On to the pictures.  (I swear, I did take a picture of this when I first bought it - and before it had a huge fingerprint right in the middle of it, but those pictures didn't turn out very well so I had to redo them after I'd used the product.  And while we're on the subject, do you have any idea how difficult it is to swatch and photograph highlighters?  Count yourself lucky if you don't because it is an incredible pain in the butt.)


Light swatch on left.  Heavier swatch on right.





Is it worth it?  It probably depends on how much disposable income you have.  It's a great product and it's a lot easier in my experience to control the intensity and get very precise application with a cream product than with a powder product.  A little bit goes a long way and unless you're a makeup artist, you can probably plan on a pot of this lasting you forever.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's for spot highlighting and not overall illuminating purposes.  It works great on fair and fair-medium skintones, but may not look so great on anything darker.

Overall:  7/10

Have you guys tried it?  If so, what did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I have tried the one in pearl and hush. I really enjoy both of them and like you stated, application is more precise than powder. I think they are well worth what you pay for them because they are going to last a long long time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Hush as well, but I find that I almost always reach for Pearl. I think they are both just beautiful products though.

      Delete
  2. hm i have had a bit of curiosity for this one, but mainly to use it as a primer. have you tried it to prime the lids or only for highlighting?
    and i wouldn't use it in my face since cream products just make my already oily face even greasier haha!/Azure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use it on my browbone for highlighting. It is way too emollient for me to put it all over my oily prone lids.

      Delete