Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Naked


Starting in Spring 2012, Urban Decay has made significant headway in reformulating most of their cosmetics line (for the better, from what I can tell).  Their eyeshadows were reformulated in Spring 2012 and in Summer 2013, they released their new line of Revolution lipsticks.  Urban Decay overhauled both the packaging and the formula of their lipsticks.

I will admit to being fairly oblivious to Urban Decay's previous line of lipsticks.  I didn't own any and I wasn't even remotely curious about them.  I didn't tend to hear anything about them, good or bad.   But when the reformulated lipstick line launched, the reviews tended to be solidly favorable across the board.

The packaging is nice, very slim and shiny.  The bullet is significantly taller than a MAC or drugstore bullet and the actual product is not very wide, which makes precise application easier.


A couple of weeks ago, I decided to pick up the Revolution lipstick in Naked.  The color is described by Urban Decay as "nude-pink" and the revolution formula is supposed to be "insanely pigmented".  I don't know about that last part.  It took a couple of swipes to get opaque coverage, which really isn't a deal breaker for me.

(indirect natural light)

(daybulbs)

The lipstick definitely applied shiny at first, but after an hour or so, the shine was pretty much gone.  The lipstick wore for probably 3 - 4 hours before I needed to re-apply.  This color is very forgiving, so it wore off nicely. I can't speak to how the darker and more intense colors wear.  The formula is comfortable on the lips.  I don't know about Urban Decay's claims that it's nourishing.  It definitely didn't feel like a lip balm, but it wasn't drying either.


The Urban Decay revolution lipsticks contain 2.55 grams of product, which is less than a standard drugstore lipstick, and retail for $22.  I don't feel like this formula is significantly better than what I could find at the drugstore, so I won't be buying anymore of these.  The Urban Decay revolution lipsticks are available directly from Urban Decay, at Ulta or Sephora.  I bought mine at Sephora.

Overall:  7/10