Saturday, February 23, 2013

Flower Beauty first impressions

I had heard that Drew Barrymore was launching a cosmetics line, but I hadn't realized it was already out.  From what I can tell covers all the bases:  lips (everything from lip butters to matte lipsticks), eyes (shadow quads and cream shadow pots), face (primer, tinted moisturizer, multiple foundations, blushes, bronzers) and nails.

The line is exclusive to Wal-Mart and seems to have a price tag comparable to other drug store brands like L'Oreal, Maybelline, etc.

I picked up a few items:


I am most curious about the "Triplet" products, though, ironically, I didn't pick any of them up.  There are lip triplets, eye triplets and face triplets.

First impressions:

Pros:
  • reasonably priced
  • contemporary formulations:  cream to powder blushes, matte lipsticks, etc.
  • very wearable colors
Mixed:
  • packaging.  I do love the sort of Art Deco aesthetic.  However, the blushes have convex lids, so they won't stack, the eyshadow quad isn't a square, so it doesn't play particularly well either.  The lipstick tubes seem really unnecessarily bulky.
  • Exclusive to Wal-Mart.  I'd say that most people have access to a Wal-Mart or to walmart.com, but I, personally, try not to shop at Wal-Mart, so this is mostly a miss for me.
Cons:
  • labeling on the lipsticks.  If you have more than one, it's really easy to mix up the labels and the color names aren't particularly helpful in sorting them out.
  • Flower Beauty website.  Doesn't have much information.  Everything links back to Wal-Mart's website which also doesn't have a whole lot of information.
The labels on the cosmetics say "We never test on animals", but I really have no idea what that means.  I read in Women's Wear Daily that Barrymore co-owns Flower Beauty with "design and manufacturing firm, Maesa Group".  I don't know who they are or what their animal testing status might be.

I will have in depth reviews on these products next week, but I just wanted to give you guys a sneak peek.

Hope you have a great weekend!
indie


2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping Flower comes to Canada soon. I'd love to try some of these products. I love the rose-gold and white packaging, looks really chic.

    http://carlyjean.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is certainly fun. And different from anything else in the beauty aisles.

      Delete