Thursday, February 21, 2013

MAC Moxie Lipstick


MAC's Moxie lipstick was limited edition.  It was repromoted as part of the MAC By Request collection in Fall 2012.  Moxie was one of the top three most popular LE or discontinued MAC lipsticks according to voters - along with Candy Yum-Yum and Rocker.


Moxie is a matte finish and the color is described by MAC as "bright pink".  In the bullet it definitely looks bright pink, but swatched and on the lips, I think it's much more of a magenta meets raspberry red.  It is creamy (for a matte) and applies evenly and opaquely.

Because it's a matte, the wear time is great.  I got at least 6 hours out of it before I had noticeable fading and it did stain my lips.  While you might have luck finding a dupe of this color, it's the texture that you're not going to find at the drug store.  The matte finish is so opaque and so long wearing that I doubt you're going to be able to dupe it.

I did think that when I first apply Moxie it looks a lot like the NARS Matte Velvet Gloss Pencil in Mexican Rose.  The NARS pencil initially is a rather light pink, but it darkens over time and ends up looking a lot like Moxie.

EDITED TO ADD 3/25/12:  Another decent dupe for MAC's Moxie is the Flower Beauty High Shine Lip Color in Petunia Petals.  The finish is different, but the color is very close.




I am absolutely in love with this shade and I am so glad I picked it up.

All MAC lipsticks contain .10 oz of product and retail for $15.

Overall: 10/10

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty color. I think your color description fits it much better because that doesn't look pink at all to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, like I said, the bullet looks pink, but definitely on the lips it's much darker. Of course, I often find MAC color descriptions to be pretty far off the mark.

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting desperately for this to be re promoted in the UK! We've just got Candy Yum Yum but thats a bit too bright for meee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Candy Yum-Yum is very neon. I absolutely LOVE Moxie. I hope you get it soon!

      Delete