Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Revlon New Complexion One Step Compact Make Up in 01 Ivory Beige


I'd been curious about the Revlon New Complexion One Step Compact Makeup since I saw it in some videos by Australian beauty gurus.  It seems like they get new products several months earlier than they hit the states, so I'd been on the lookout for a good month or two before I finally stumbled across it at Wal-Mart.


I've tried a few cream compact foundations in the last year, including the Cover FX and NARS, both of which were absolute disasters for me.  But hope springs eternal and a drugstore price point didn't hurt either.


As it turned out, this was the goldilocks cream compact foundation for me.  It was neither too dry and stiff (like the CoverFX), nor was it to sheer and oily (like the NARS).  It had nice pigmentation and applied well.  I tried applying it with both a brush and a sponge and both yielded good results.  It did set rather than remaining tacky (I'm looking at you again, NARS).


The only downside to this foundation for me, and you can probably tell from the swatches, is that the lightest shade, 01 Ivory Beige, is a good two shades too dark for me.  BOO HOO!  Because aside from that, it's a lovely foundation.  It wore well - most foundations do wear well on me.  It didn't separate and turn into an oily mess and it didn't break down and pool in my pores.



The shade range does seem to be pretty limited.  I think there are 6 shades total and per usual, the online swatches are absolutely useless.  Looking at them in store, I picked up what appeared to be the lightest shade and like I said, it is way, way too dark for me.  However, looking at online swatches, it looks like shade 2, Tender Peach, might actually be lighter.  I'm going to have to hunt it down because if I can find a shade match (or at least something close enough that I don't have to wear a scarf and/or turtleneck with it), I will be a very happy camper.



I haven't really noticed anybody talking about this foundation.  Has anyone tried it?  If so, I'd love to know what you thought.  The Revlon New Complexion One-Step Compact Make Up contains 9.9 grams of product and retails for $11 - $14 wherever Revlon is sold.  I picked mine up at Wal-Mart.

Overall:  6/10