Monday, March 10, 2014

Maybelline Color Tattoo Nudes


So there has been a lot of hype about the Maybelline Color Tattoo Nudes, which, unfortunately, are limited edition (well, not so unfortunately in a couple of cases.)  Looking at Nouveau Cheap's sightings page, it looks like the collection has pretty good saturation at this point.



I had been keeping a sharp eye out for this collection and I finally found it at CVS (and I had a 20% off coupon, SCORE!)

I will say that as far as application and wear time, all of these shadows perform fantastically well - as do the bulk of the Color Tattoo line.  Pigmentation varies by color, but once they're on, these puppies aren't coming off.  All of the shades do have shimmer.

Pure Nude

Pure Nude

Pure Nude is, for better or for worse, exactly what it sounds like, pure nude.  Even on my incredibly pale skin, it is nothing but shimmer.  There is virtually no color to the base.  While the product looks a little champagne shimmer in the pot, on the skin it's a very cool, almost white shimmer.


Beige-ing Beauty

Beige-ing Beauty

Beige-ing Beauty is shockingly not at all beige, at least in my opinion.  This was the sheerest of the colors, even more sheer than Pure Nude.  Beige-ing Beauty is sparkle and nothing more.  The sparkle is warm, more gold than Pure Nude and also, less shimmery than Pure Nude.  This was the most underwhelming of the shades for me, with non-existent pigmentation and understated sparkle.


Nude Compliment

Nude Compliment

Nude Compliment is my favorite of the Nude shades.  It's a cool sort of antique gold color.  It reminds me a lot of MAC Patina.


Sleek & Spice

Sleek & Spice
Sleek & Spice is warmer than Nude Compliment.  It's a bit bronzy, but not terribly red.  There's still a bit of green there that keeps it from being too warm.

Caramel Cool

Caramel Cool
Caramel Cool is warm, warm, warm.  It's not even bronzy, it's pretty much straight up orange.  I didn't do comparison swatches, but it reminded me a lot of MAC Rubenesque paint pot, less of the duo chrome finish, but very much in that vein.

Like I said earlier, these shadows wear like a champ.  Even Pure Nude and Beige-ing Beauty which have lackluster pigmentation retain their lackluster pigmentation for a solid 12 hours.  These things do not budge and in my experience require an oil based remover.

Overall, I love this collection.  I'm not going to use Pure Nude or Beige-ing Beauty much, but if you're into sparkle, those are the shades for you.  I'm baffled as to why Maybelline has made this collection and the Matte collection limited edition.  These shades seem so much more wearable and useful than a number of shades in the permanent collection.

All Maybelline Color Tattoos contain 4 grams of product and retail anywhere from $4.50 to $7 each depending on where (IF) you can find them.  I picked mine up on sale at CVS.

Overall:  9/10