Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Perricone Blue Plasma

In the last couple of years I have really spent a lot of time refining my skincare routine, trying to figure out what works well for me and what doesn't.  I definitely feel come added pressure because I have extremely fair, super dry skin.  It just isn't forgiving at all.  Despite regular moisturizing and religious application of sunscreen, I have significantly more sun damage and wrinkles than other people my age with darker and more combo/oily skin.

Le sigh.

Last year, several of the YouTubers that I watch were talking about the Perricone MD Blue Plasma and I was intrigued and decided to pick up a bottle on a whim.  

Perricone bills Blue Plasma as:

A unique, non-acidic daily peel designed to deliver all the benefits of a traditional peel without redness or irritation. This cutting edge liquid treatment works with Bio-specific Peeling to attack only dead skin cells, Micro-extraction to lift surface debris, unclogging and purifying the skin of build-up and finally Hydro-fusion to rebalance skin's hydration with enriched water. No rinsing needed. Apply and follow with your daily skincare regimen.

The Paula's Choice website has a write up on the product available HERE, which is very interesting.  Mostly they don't like the price (they definitely have a point there), the gimmicky color, the packaging and the fact that it contains a lot of menthol.  The menthol is apparently there to give the product a "cooling" sensation, which, I have honestly never noticed, and I'm generally aware of menthol in my skincare products.  It drives me nuts when it's in cream cleansers. 

Despite being described by Perricone as "non-acidic", there are a whole lot of ingredients in Blue Plasma that function like AHAs (which, as someone with dry skin, I love, btw).


I have been using this product for nearly a year at this point and I think it's just okay.  In my skincare routine, I like to use it after cleansing.  It acidifies the surface of my skin and seems to make it easier for my other products to absorb into the skin.  However, I don't think it's unique in that respect.  I think any decent AHA or BHA exfoliator could accomplish that task.

I do think that there are better exfoliants on the market that I would like to try.  However, I still have quite a bit of this left and I'm determined to use it up before I buy anything else.  When I say there are "better" exfoliants, what I mean is that there are other products with a much more budget friendly price tag that don't contain potentially skin irritating ingredients.

Bottom line is that this product is okay.  It's gimmicky and I don't think it comes anywhere close to justifying its price tag.  I bought it on a whim and now I'm stuck with this bottle.  I think it's okay, but the price and the menthol are more than enough to make sure I'm not going to repurchase when it's gone.

Blue Plasma by Perricone MD contains 2 oz of product and retails for $95.  It is available wherever Perricone MD products are sold.  I bought mine at Sephora.

Overall:  5/10