Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Le Metier De Beaute Blush Kaleidoscope

I've mentioned a couple of times that I swap a lot on Makeup Alley.  Overall, I've had great experiences there and it has allowed me to pick up some fantastic products that are hard to find and/or pricey.

One of the product that I had on my wishlist forever was the Le Metier de Beaute blush kaleidoscope.  I love blush more than almost anything and everything I'd heard about the product was just phenomenal.



It turned out that I was able to swap for a brand new blush kaleidoscope and I was just about bouncing for joy as I waited for it to arrive.  There are no Le Metier de Beaute counters near me, which means that if I want to try the products, I have to buy them and then hope for the best (and a forgiving return policy).

(I particularly like how you can see my messy desk in the mirror here)

The item arrived and it was just ...

In terms of specifics, I don't know what I expected other than a generalized sense of more.  

At this price point (not that I paid money for it), I expected more.  The packaging is incredibly fussy, which I expected, but it also felt flimsy.  The pans swivel and click together and there's the pop up mirror and really, I was just worried that I was going to break it every time I opened the thing.


Also, the blush colors left me feeling rather cold.  I felt like only two of the four shades are even wearable for me.  I'm not necessarily opposed to wearing a blush as dark or as orange as the first pan, but I have other similar blushes that I like much better which I feel are less likely to make me look jaundiced and/or the victim of a self tanning session gone wrong.


A dark yellow based pink, I'm all over it, but I already have at least 4 similar shades from other brands.


This color I don't even know what the hell to do with it.  It's certainly not a blush or a highlight on me.  Perhaps as an eyeshadow?


A lovely ballerina pink that I suspect is frosty as hell.  Great.  I already own 5 of these.

You'll notice that there aren't any swatches.  Looking at the kaleidoscope, I thought I could go ahead and road test the blushes or I could package it back up and swap it off to someone else in hopes of getting something that I enjoyed more.  So ... I swapped it away.

I don't regret my choice at all.  Mostly, I'm grateful that I was able to swap for it in the first place rather than paying money to be this disappointed (Chantecaille Wild Horses, palette, I'm looking at YOU!).




This product, overall for me was just a huge letdown.  For $95 retail, I would expect to be wowed and absolutely nothing about this product wowed me.  The packaging felt cheap and gimmicky.  The blush pans were tiny.  I hope this blush kaleidoscope found love in its new home, because there was no love to be found here.

All in all, Le Metier de Beaute is going on my list of high end makeup products that just isn't living up to the hype, along with Givenchy, Chantecaille and Rouge Bunny Rouge (which, I know isn't exactly High End, but is mid-range and A Pain To Procure).

What about you guys?  What's the last beauty product you were really wanting that ended up just leaving you cold?

4 comments:

  1. aww so sorry to hear you were let down! Such a shame because it looks great! Happy that you got to experience it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm definitely glad I got to see it in person, but I was really unimpressed with the quality at that price point.

      Delete
  2. 95?! That's insane! I think all of the shades are so weird looking; each one being a bit off!
    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very gimmicky and there is/was so much hype around it. In person, I found it incredibly disappointing. :(

      Delete