Friday, August 9, 2013

Josie Maran Argan Beautiful Eyes in Beautiful Nudes

So every now and then I review a product just so I can bitch about it.  And yes, this is one of those times.

I am not very familiar with the Josie Maran cosmetics line, especially the color cosmetics.  But I was in Sephora and on a total impulse buy, I picked up the Argan Beautiful Eyes eyeshadow palette in Beautiful Nudes.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful palette ... to look at.  Go ahead, look at it.


Go on, take a closer look.  Look at those shadows, look at how rich they look.


Yeah, it looks gorgeous doesn't it?  Well, it's not.  There was one shade, ONE SHADE in the entire palette that performed fantastically well and all of the others ranged from mediocre to abysmal.  Oh, wait, I haven't mentioned the price yet, have I.  Well, let me be clear, this palette would suck at any price point.  I would be considerably less irritated about it if it was a drugstore item, but it's not.

This crap palette cost me $36.  Yes, $36 dollars.


  • Lid color - gold with shimmer - Total crap.  Super stiff texture.  No color payoff at all.  Had to dig into the product just to get enough to swatch.
  • Liner - dark mate cool brown - Excellent payoff, very soft, very pigmented.  Exactly what you waould want if you were using this color as a liner.
  • Corner Crease - bronzy brown with shimmer - Very stiff.  Dry texture.  Mediocre color payoff.
  • Crease - metallic bronze - Good payoff.  True to pan color.  Nice texture.
  • Base/Highlighter - cream - There was no obvious glitter, but it seemed to have an almost duo chrome finish.  It looks cream in the pan, but swatched is white with a blue sheen.  Super dry.  Stiff.  Terrible color payoff.


I am so completely disappointed in this product and really turned off on the entire Josie Maran color cosmetics range.  At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to scrape off the top 2 or 3, or maybe 4 layers of the product to see if it gets better as you go.  The tester in Sephora seemed buttery soft across the board with great payoff, but that is not how this palette is shaping up at all.

The Josie Maran Argan Beautiful Eyes eyeshadow palette in Beautiful Nudes contains 11 grams of product and retails for a whopping $36 wherever Josie Maran is sold.  I got mine at Sephora.

Overall:  3/10