Thursday, May 16, 2013

Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm


I have been really diving into skincare lately and I've been really curious about cleansing balms.  I love cleansing oils, but it seems like cleansing balms simply by their texture would force you to take more time, to be more diligent with facial massage.  Anyway, I was curious.

Not a lot of brand carry cleansing balms.  The ones who do tend to be really pricey.  Clinique has one, but even at that, it's close to $30.  So, when I was at Target last week and I saw the Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm, I thought why not.


The cleansing balm is solid at room temperature and really rather stiff.  I really had to work this between my hands a lot to get it soft enough to be able to work it into the skin.

With the consistency being so stiff, even after I warmed it up in my hands, it was so stiff that I felt like I really had to tug in order to move it around and massage it into the skin - not exactly something you want to do with your face.  Especially if you're using this to remove eye makeup, it can be super hard on your eye area.  

It came with a little cloth that you're supposed to wet with warm water and "use as a compress to draw out impurities".  I just ... are you kidding me?  How exactly could that possibly work?  You want to give this a try at home?  Take some olive oil, slather it over your face and then press a warm, damp washcloth over it.  Now, do you feel the impurities being drawn out?  No?  Of course not.  Because it's completely ridiculous.

SIGH.  More than likely, you'll use the coarse cloth to try and scrap the product off your face (which has to be fabulous for your skin, right?  Wrong.).  Mostly, you will fail in your attempt to remove the product.  Because this cleansing balm is nearly impossible to remove, even using warm-bordering-on-hot water and a washcloth.

It took me forever to get this stuff off my skin.  And I ended up having to use a foaming cleanser to get rid of it, which completely defeats the purpose of using the cleansing balm as far as I'm concerned.

Ingredients:
Olea europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Cera alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract, Linalool, Citrus aurantium bergamia (Bergamot) fruit oil, Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) peel oil, Geraniol, Parfum (Fragrance), Citral
All in all, this was a total fail.  After two uses, I just chucked it in the trash.

The Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm contains 350mL and retails for $8.49 in the US.

Overall: 0/10