Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Essence 3D Eyeshadows 04 and 09

I recently subscribed to Babycake390 on YouTube and in one of their recent videos, they were talking about how much they loved the new Essence 3D Eyeshadows.  I was at Ulta last weekend and I had my 20% off coupon, so I thought why not?

I picked up two of the duos, 04 Irresistible Caramel Cream and 09 Irresistible Chocolates.  First off, I will admit to peeling off a sticker that was on the front of all the Essence shadows.  It said "WOW!".  I just ... oh dear.  There is a reason I don't buy a lot of drug store items.



First up, 04 Irresistible Caramel Cream.  So the shadows aren't even.  There is definitely more of the lighter product.  Also, the lighter product is raised up considerably and the darker portion is flat.




You can see it swatches pretty true to the pan.  The first shade is a warm light champagne beige.  The second shade swatches a bit lighter than it looks in the pan.  It's a warm medium golden brown.

As with all of the baked mineral shadows I've ever used, these have a metallic finish and you can use them wet or dry (I only swatched them dry).  I think that either color would work well as a highlighter.  The shadows are on the drier side.  I had to sort of fight with them to get the product, but it is a drugstore item.





The second duo, 09 Irresistible Chocolates, is considerably darker than the first and both shades swatch very true to pan.  The fist shade is a beautiful medium neutral pink.  The second shade is a cool dark gray brown that looks a little gold in the pan, but doesn't really on the eye.




Overall, I can't say that I'm really in love with these products.  They're okay, especially at the price point, which truly is fabulous, even for a drugstore brand.  Milani, which is slightly more expensive, has some very similar colors in their recently released nude versions of their Runway Eyes palettes.  

As I mentioned, the shadows are very dry and stiff, but I do think that once you get them applied, they look really pretty.  As with wet/dry shadows, you'll get more intense color payoff if you use them wet.  The colors are natural enough for them to be multipurpose products (eyeshadow, highlight, bronzer, etc) depending on how you want to use them.

The packaging is super flimsy and they have domed tops which means they don't stack (my personal pet peeve - I hate that about the Milani individual baked eyeshadows too).

Essence 3D Eyeshadows contain 2.8 grams of product each and are available at Ulta for $3.99 each (unless you have a 20% off coupon like me!)

Overall:  6/10

5 comments:

  1. Yea actually packagings that don't stack annoy me too!
    I am not a fan of dry/wet formulas, I feel like good shadows should apply beautifully (full pigmentation) either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely prefer shadows that you don't have to use wet to get good payoff, but it seems like at the drugstore, you sort of have to go that way if you want something that doesn't totally suck.

      Delete
  2. This brand isn't available in Canada but looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an intriguing brand, especially for the price point.

      Delete
  3. The Essence brand is available in Canada at Shoppers (at least in BC). Months ago I bought the Colour & Shine version of eyeshadow and can say they are pretty much like these 3D ones. Bad dome packaging and not very pigmented. But for a couple bucks a pop I guess we cant expect much.

    ReplyDelete