Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Flower Beauty Creme Blush in Pure Petunia and Peach Blossom


I picked up 2 of the new Win Some, Rouge Some creme blushes from Flower Beauty.  There are 6 creme blush shades in the line.  I picked up BL1 Pure Petunia which is a bright blue-based pink and BL2 Peach Blossom which is, as the name suggests, peach.

These cream to powder blushes are the only individual blushes in the Flower line.  There is a blush/bronzer duo available that contains a powder blush, but as far as I can tell, you cannot buy the powder blush individually.



Despite looking really orange in the pan, Peach Blossom is indeed a soft peach that leans a little pink.

(sunlight)

(daybulbs)




Pure Petunia is a bright blue-based pink.  You can see the difference in the swatches below.  In certain lights it looks very blue based and in others, more neutral.  Mostly, I felt like it was neutral on me.

(sunlight)

(daybulbs)

I appreciate that Flower Beauty is really trying to use current cosmetics formulations, especially at this price point.  My experience with drugstore type cream blushes is that they can be really watery and almost waxy.  The Flower Beauty cream to powder blush definitely emphasizes the powder part of that claim.  While the blushes definitely aren't powder blushes, the formulation is very powdery.  That can make them a little difficult to blend out (which I really don't want in a cream blush since it messes up my base).

The colors are pretty.  While they look very vibrant in the pan, it's not difficult to get a subtle wash of color from them.  The formulation does have good staying power.  My cheeks don't exactly eat blush, but I do often have fading after a day of wear.  These wore for probably a good 6 or 7 hours before I had noticeable fading.  

The formulation is also easily buildable once you get the first layer down.  I had the best luck with application using a small stippling brush (either the E.L.F. or Sonia Kashuk ones).  These products do definitely set, unlike some cream blushes.  And once set, they do have a powdery feel on the cheeks (though I don't think they look powdery).  They do not, however, look dewy on the cheeks.  So, if you're gravitating toward cream blushes because you want a dewy finish, these probably aren't the blushes for you.  Once set, I found that they had a rather matte texture.

I am really hit or miss with the Flower Beauty packaging and the creme blush packaging is definitely a miss for me.  The lids on the blush are convex, solely to make it look like there is a lot more product in the package than there is.  It means they won't stack.  And the actual product well is not very wide at all, but deeper than a lot of other cream blush packaging.  I don't know, the packaging on this product just really bothers me.  Obviously, you may not have that issue.

Overall, I do really like these blushes.  As far as drugstore cream blushes go, I think this is my favorite formulation.

The blushes contain 4g of product and retail for $7.98 at Wal-Mart.

Overall: 8/10