Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Essie Mirror Metallics Nail Lacquer in Penny Talk

I was hopeful that my search for a stellar copper (or better yet, rose gold) nail polish had come to an end when I saw Essie's new Mirror Metallics line.  Penny Talk in particular looked stunning.

This is a difficult review to write because I feel like there are so many pluses and minuses to this polish.


First off, the application was awful.  This is a thick, gloopy polish.  It does not apply smoothly.  It tends to just sit on the nail and when you brush through the product to smooth it out, it tends to remove the polish you've already applied.  It drags and bunches.  No bueno.

It's a little streaky and uneven.  This could probably be fixed by applying another coat, but because this polish is so thick, I didn't want to apply more than one coat.  And it's not that it isn't opaque.  Because it is opaque.  But it's just very uneven.



The color is lovely.  I've worn this polish for about a week at this point and I have to say I am really fond of the color and finish.  As the name Mirror Metallics would suggest, it is a very reflective polish.  I don't think the color is anywhere near as coppery as it looks in the bottle.  It looks different depending on the lighting and shifts between a gold and a pinky brown.

The wear time was surprisingly good.  After three days I have some wear on the tips, but no chipping or peeling.

So the application is a huge pain, but the final product is pretty good.  Whether you love or hate this polish will probably depend on how willing you are to deal with the fussy application.  With some babying and long dry times I think you could get absolutely stellar results in the end - but you will have to work for it.

Essie polishes contain .46 oz. and retail for about $8 wherever Essie is sold.  I picked mine up at Target.

Overall: 5/10

3 comments:

  1. I love golden colored nail polish~~ they're so festive <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed your videos and blog posts. I enjoy you to bits and know that you are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You have an amazing blog.Honestly, I love it. If you have a minute, please visit my blog too. It would be really great if you'll follow it. Happy new year!!

    love,
    Alicia

    leeshionable.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete