Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream SPF37 PA++ in shade 01


I picked up the Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream along with several other items in my haul from RubyRubyShop.  I have had this BB Cream on my wish list since I first saw PinkSith's review back in May 2012.  This is my first time trying an actual Asian BB Cream and if there is one thing the beauty blogosphere has taught me, it's that Asian BB Creams and Western BB Creams are nothing alike.



I don't speak Korean and as previously stated, it doesn't appear that anyone at RubyRubyShop is terribly fluent in English, so here is what RubyRubyShop (or babelfish) has to say about Peach Girl BB Cream:

Cover the blemishes and enliven your skin with cheek and lip color!  Containing Peach and Strawberry extracts, gives skin peach-like complexion and elasticity.  Also there is bundle lip and cheek color, you can finish make up steps in one item.

It also has a PORE COVER label at RubyRubyShop, so from all of this I'm going to make some assumptions about what I think the Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream is supposed to do:
  • Coverage with a peach tint
  • Some level of pore coverage
  • Sun protection via SPF 37 PA++
Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream comes in two shades, #01 Light Beige and #02 Natural Beige.  I purchased shade #01 Light Beige.  I was concerned that the BB Cream was going to be either too yellow or too gray, however, it turned out to be an excellent match for my skin.  While I wouldn't say it had a peach tint, it is a good match for my skintone.

swatch blended (left) and heavy (right) under daylight bulbs

swatch blended (left) and heavy (right) in direct sunlight

As for the pore coverage, I'm not sure what the product is claiming to do, which makes it impossible to evaluate.  I have large pores and foundations settle into them.  I can't say that the Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream has a huge impact on my pores, either good or bad.  It doesn't settle into my pores any worse than any other foundation, but it also doesn't cover them up better than other foundations either.

As far as the coverage, I applied it rather sparingly over a very emollient base which made blending super easy and it's probably medium coverage on its own if you don't sheer it out like I did.  The BB Cream is a little on the thicker side.  


bare skin

Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream

In the picture above, I didn't bring it up under my eyes and I hadn't applied my concealer yet.  As you can see, the Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream does a good job of evening out my skintone.  It tones down the redness, but doesn't completely cover my freckles (not that anything does).  As thick as the BB Cream is, I was concerned that it might look really cakey or matte on the skin, but I think it has a nice finish.  While it's not exactly dewey, it does have a sheen.  It is definitely not a matte finish.  

Here it is with full face makeup on.

full face with Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream - 7am

full face with Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream - 7pm


You can see from the pictures that it wore fairly well, even after twelve hours.  I did get shiny in my t-zone, but the BB Cream didn't break down and separate the way some foundations can - it certainly held up better than my under eye concealer.  It did seem to oxidize a tad on my skin, but not bad, it's just that by the end of the day it seemed a smidge darker than on first application.

The consistency of the foundation reminded me a lot of the MAC Matchmaster in that it feels kind of drier and more textured to the touch than most foundations which sounds like a negative, but it's not.  It's just that compared to other foundations like NARS Sheer Glow or Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid, it is a lot heavier.  I feel like you could probably build up the coverage pretty easily, though you'd probably want to be careful with piling it on top of dry patches.



Last, but not least, is the peach blush/lipstick and itty bitty mirror.  According to the blurb on the website, the color is supposedly for cheeks or lips.  It's a peachy-pink and shockingly opaque and STICKY.



Did I mention this stuff is STICKY because if I was too subtle, it's STICKY.  You could use this stuff to glue things together.  Because of that, I think it would work much better on the lips than the cheeks - of course if you don't like sticky lip products that won't work for you.  If you use this as a blush, it definitely would need to be set with a powder blush.

I purchased the Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream SPF37 PA++ in shade #01 at the RubyRubyShop ebay store for the incredibly budget friendly price of $13.18.

Overall:  9/10

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a little gimmicky, but I absolutely love it.

      Delete
  2. Well almost all the asian BB creams I have tried so far oxidize a little bit after a while. Great review it was very helpful I am gonna try this one I love the blush color

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, this is the second positive review I have read on this product so I definitely think I will be checking it out.

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very impressed with it and I'd love to see what you think.

      Delete