Tuesday, August 14, 2012

NYX Matte Lipstick in Shocking Pink



I took a business trip to Portland, OR a few weeks ago and despite much browsing at cosmetics counters, I really didn't pick up much of anything at all.  A week of consumer opportunities and all I bought were two NYX lipsticks from Ulta.

I was specifically looking for the NYX black label lipstick in Hot Pink (I heard it was a dupe for MAC's Candy Yum-Yum), but I haven't been able to find Hot Pink anywhere and I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

I saw Shocking Pink and thought it could be a close dupe for Candy Yum-Yum as well, so I decided to pick it up, especially since it was a matte finish (like CYY).


Between the time that I purchased this lipstick to the time that I actually managed to get it swatched and photographed, the MAC By Request results were in and I had actually picked up Candy Yum-Yum.  In the tubes, Shocking Pink and Candy Yum-Yum don't look too close, but swatched, they are almost dead on dupes.  Shocking Pink leans slightly more blue, but only slightly.  And since they are both matte finishes, they look really similar on the lips.

Shocking Pink is slightly less creamy and slightly less opaque than Candy Yum-Yum, but really they're close enough in color and formula to be interchangeable.  Also, since MAC's latest price hike, the NYX lipstick is now just over 1/3 the cost of a MAC lipstick and contains almost 50% more product than a MAC lipstick.


The packaging is nice.  It doesn't feel cheap.  Overall, I am impressed with this lipstick.

NYX Matte Lipstick in Shocking Pink contains 4 grams of product and retails for $5.99 at Ulta.

Overall: 10/10

8 comments:

  1. Such a pretty color. I can't believe I have not tried the matte Lipsticks from NYX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel the same way. I need to pick up a few more.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful color!

    V
    http://svenagrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. And affordable too!

      Delete
  3. Ooo Nyx Matte lipsticks are definitely on my shopping list now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. I need to pick up some more.

      Delete
  4. Love the color, thanks for dupe info, since CYY is sold out for me =(


    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sold out already? I ordered mine online from MAC. I didn't even bother checking counters.

      Delete