Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Aid Beauty Smooth Shave Cream


The First Aid Beauty Smooth Shave Cream was one of the items I received in my June 2012 Glossybox.  It was one of the few items in the box that I was excited to try as I had just finished up a deluxe sample of the Art of Shaving Lavender Essential Oil Shaving Cream (which was FABULOUS, btw).

I will say that the First Aid Beauty Smooth Shave Cream is more budget friendly than the Art of Shaving one (no shock there, it's less than half the price), but it's still not cheap at $7.50 for 2oz when you compare it to something like Skintimates shaving gel (which I normally use) that retails for around $3 for 7oz.


First Aid Beauty definitely sells itself on being more luxurious than the Skintimates line by Schick.  Per the marketing materials, First Aid Beauty Smooth Shave Cream is formulated without:

  • Parabens
  • Sulfates
  • Synthetic Fragrances
  • Synthetic Dyes
  • Petrochemicals
  • Phthalates
  • GMOs
  • Triclosan
(let's face it, I know that's not true of Skintimates)

But how does it perform as a shaving cream?  In my opinion, it's crap.

The consistency of this product is somewhere between lotion and conditioner.  It does not lather at all.  It's biggest drawback as far as I'm concerned is that especially for a shaving cream, there is very little slip to this product.  It doesn't do a whole lot to make your razor glide along your skin and it also doesn't seem to do much to soften your skin.

It does, however, excel at gunking up your razor blades so you burn through them faster than usual.

This product feel like a complete afterthought to me.  It feels like First Aid Beauty had a bunch of remnants left from their lotions and decided to package it as a shaving cream rather than actually creating a shaving cream.

I would not recommend this product and I will not be repurchasing it.

Overall: 0/10

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Myristyl Myristate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Bisabolol, p-Anisic Acid, Spiraea Ulmaria Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Hydroxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Benzoate.

6 comments:

  1. It's too bad this product isn't good, thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thanks for commenting :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was very disappointed in this product :(

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you in this product. It does nothing to enhance the shaving of your legs, and with the razor getting gunned up it actually hinders the whole process. Total fail in my book too. I feel bad for whoever shells out $17-18 for this, thinking they will be getting a great shave! Ha!
    Thanks again Indie. Your reviews are spot on! That's why I always check your blog before purchasing. :)
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more bad reviews for this product considering how many people got it in their glossyboxes.

      Delete