Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: Murad Clarifying Cleanser

I received a deluxe 2oz. sample of the Murad Clarifying Cleanser in the June 2012 Sample Society Beauty Box.  Earlier this month I was having a problems with breakouts so I decided to go ahead and use the Murad Clarifying Cleanser which is formulated to combat acne and contains 1.5% salicylic acid.

I do think that the cleanser helped clear up my minor (but seriously annoying) acne issues without being overly drying for my skin.  The cleanser is a clear gel.  You don't need much of the cleanser and it foams up really well.  It washes away easily and leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean - which you may or may not like.  Given that it's July and my skin is pretty combination/normal right now the squeaky clean isn't an issue for me.  In the dead of winter though it definitely could be drying.

I really like the results I got from the product, but I'm not completely in love with this cleanser.

This cleanser contains menthol.  I hate cleansers that contain menthol.  I think it is absolutely pointless.  I refuse to believe that menthol has any beneficial effect on my skin and to the contrary, I think it can be irritating.  It is definitely irritating to my eyes, even when I don't get the menthol in them.  Just the fumes are enough to make my eyes water.  My biggest complaint with most cream cleansers is that they contain menthol.  I have no idea why this product contains menthol.  I feel like it's one of those ingredients that companies throw in to products so that it will make the user feel like it's working more than it is.

UGH.  Hate it.

So obviously you may not have strong feelings about menthol the way I do.  This cleanser is part of a larger Murad acne system.  Like I said, I do think that it helped clear up my minor acne issues.  I have no idea how it might perform for someone with more severe acne.

6.75oz of product retails for $26 wherever Murad is sold.

Murad is formulated without:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan


Ingredients:

Salicylic Acid (1.5%). Other Ingredients:Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Triclosan, Menthol, Limonene *, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Oil, Cymbopogon Nardus (Citronella) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben.


Overall:  7/10

3 comments:

  1. I love your review, but does anyone else see the elephant in the room? Formulated without parabens yet one of the ingredients is methyparaben? Isn't tetra sodium EDTa some kind of dye?
    I never got along very good with Murad products. I received this sample too and feel about the same as you, I'll use it but I won't purchase a reg size if it. Great review, as always!
    Xoxo-- Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, chemistry student here - No, Tetrasodium is not a dye; its something that catches the Calcium and Magnesium Ions out of the water in forming a complex with them. That reduces water hardness and improves the cleansing properties of the cleanser.

      Other then that, I agree on the Methylparaben issue.

      Delete
    2. I agree that it's dodgy to say Murad products are formulated without parabens, but this one contains Methylparaben. But then again, so do blueberries so I don't know how concerned I am about his. I'm far more irritated (literally and figuratively) about the menthol.

      Delete