Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review: Revlon Nail Color in Gold Coast



Revlon's Gold Coast Nail Color is part of the Summer 2012 Escapism collection (along with their PhotoReady Cream Color Blushes).  Revlon doesn't have an official description of Gold Coast, so I'll give it a shot.

Gold Coast is primarily gold microglitter, with what looks like a tiny bit of holographic microglitter that gives off both purple and green glimmers, suspended in a mostly clear base.  There may be a subtle yellowed gold tint to the base, but it's not much at all.

This polish is incredibly sheer.  The pictures below are 3 coats and it is still nowhere near opaque.


sunlight

daylight bulb

flash


Gold Coast is a chameleon shade.  In some light it looks soft and buttery yellow, in others it is a shocking yellow gold and still in others it can take on a sort of pinky coppery tone.  The formula is very sheer so if you want opaque coverage you're either going to have to layer on somewhere in the vicinity of 6 coats, or you're going to need to apply it on top of another more opaque shade.  

If you're looking for a bold metallic gold shade that is opaque in one or two coats, you're going to need to keep looking because this is not that polish.

I, personally haven't tried Gold Coast layered over another shade yet, but I plan to very soon.  I think it will look fantastic.

Whether or not you're going to like this formula probably depends on whether or not you like sheer polish.  For me it's a nice break from the more intensely pigmentation polishes I've been wearing lately.  Also, it sparkles and I love me some sparkles.

Overall:  7/10

2 comments:

  1. I like your description of the 'holographic micro glitter' but it is so sheer! Looks like a good polish for topping others, but I think Id pass on it by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really expecting it to be much more opaque. I think it will work well on top of other polishes, but if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have not purchased it.

      Delete