Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in 01 Golden Mink

I know I have mentioned this quad several times, but I just realized that I've never done an offiical review of it.  Ooops!  

I picked up the Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in 01 Golden Mink last November when I was in Vegas.  Unfortuantely, I don't have any department stores locally that carry the Tom Ford beauty line and I am just not willing to shell out this much money for a quad without trying it out first.  So while I was in Las Vegas, I made a special trip to the Neiman Marcus to look at these quads.

I wasn't disappointed, these quads are stunning!  But I am really glad that I looked before buying because I found the retailer descriptions of this quad in particular to be incredibly misleading.  If I had just looked at the pictures online I would have assumed that all four of the shades were shadows rather than half the compact being glittery pigments.

The Tom Ford shadows have four finishes, sheer sparkle, satin, shimmer and matte.  I can't find any official description of which color is which in any of the quads which is incredibly annoying.  



(I didn't swatch these in the best order.  L-R It's the two shades from the bottom first and then the two shades from the top.)

I will assume based on the name alone that the two across the top in the first picture (and swatched on the right) are the sheer sparkle finish.  They are basically a super finely milled glitter with some sort of liquid component.  They are incredibly shimmery and look just beautiful on the eye.  I don't wear them alone, but layered in strategic places over other shadows, they are stunning.

The lighter brown color in the lower left of the quad is probably a shimmer.  It's a satin eyeshadow with discernable glitter.The darker brown on the lower right of the quad is probably a satin as it contains no obvious glitter.

The two brown shadows are so incredibly creamy and pigmented.  They apply like a dream.  The two sparkly shades across the top are trickier to apply.  I've found that using one of those little sponge applicators works really well.

The packaging is the typically masculine, super sleek Tom Ford packaging.  It is also incredibly reflective.




The quad contains a total of 10g of product and retails for $75 at Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue or Bergdorff Goodman.  

I will grant you that $75 is a lot for an eyeshadow compact, but you do get a lot of product.  If you look at just grams per dollar, it's actually not that bad.  Tom for works out to $7.50 per gram.  MAKE UP FOR EVER shadows work out to $8.80 per gram.  MAC shadows are $10 per gram.

This is certainly a luxury purchase, but I love it and I think it is absolutely worth the money.

Overall:  10/10

4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty compact, I love the colors.
    I'm with you...if I love something, whether it's packaging or the product, it's worth the $$. You will get years of pleasure from this purchase. IMO.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Judi. Sometimes it's worth the money.

      Delete