Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: Sample Society May 2012

So there was a little bit of verbal acrobatics in my Beautyfix Spring 2012 review.  The Beautyfix box was the first beauty subscription box I received, Sample Society is the first beauty subscription box I signed up for.

I signed up last month after seeing the April 2012 Sample Society box brimming with skincare products from Boscia, DDF, Murad and more.  So here's this month's Sample Society box:




The box contains:
  • Colorescience loose mineral travel puff in Illuminating Pearl Powder (retails for $10)
  • StriVectin-SD Intensive Concentrate for Stretch Marks and Wrinkles .75oz. deluxe sample (retails for about $35/oz)
  • Alterna Bamboo Color Care UV+ Fade-Proof Fluide .25oz. deluxe sample (retails for about $10/oz.)
  • Stila Forever Your Curl deluxe sample (full size is $22)                                                                
  • Astor Place by Bond No. 9 Eau de Parfum sample (50mL retails for $175)

The Sample Society beauty box is offered by Beauty Bar with Allure magazine.  It costs $15 per month.  You get 5 deluxe samples from luxury brands per month.

My thoughts:

I'm not blown away.  

With the exception of the Stila mascara, I wasn't really familiar with any of these products.  I've seen StriVectin, but not the SD product in particular.  I've used the Alterna Bamboo line, but not the Color Care Fluide.  I've never even heard of Colorescience or Bond No. 9 before.


That said, I'm not terribly disappointed.  Though I'm not familiar with some of these products, I am somewhat curious about them and I'll happily try them out.  The Colorescience travel puff is the loser of the box for me, but I'll give it a try.

Am I going to keep the subscription?  Yes.  For now.  I'll give it another couple of months and then decide if it's worth it or not.

What about you guys?  Do any of you get a box from Sample Society?  How do you think this month's box stacks up against previous boxes?

5 comments:

  1. I never subscribed to this particular box only because I thought anything above $10 is a little pricey for me to pay for small products I may or may not like. Above it seems like you got a descent box but I don't think any of the products are something I have a need for or would have picked myself.

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was super excited about any of these products, but I'm hoping some of them will turn out to be winners.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh A Strivectin Sample - that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was definitely what I was most excited about.

      Delete
  3. I gave up on the sample boxes after trying beauty fix, birchbox, beauty army and my glam. They are just too hit and miss for my taste.

    ReplyDelete