Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Mexican Rose

I originally I saw the NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Mexican Rose in a favorite spring products YouTube video by Tanya Burr.  I had a bunch of coupons and rewards bucks at Beauty.com, so I picked it up for less than $10.  The NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils typically sell for $24.


I purchased this pencil weeks and weeks ago and it's just been sitting on my vanity.  I don't really know why I didn't wear it, but I didn't.  I finally picked it up last weekend and applied it and was incredibly unhappy.  I wasn't expecting it to be quite so bright and so I promptly took it off and put on something more sedate.  I was ready to list it on Make Up Alley for a swap when I decided I should give it more than a 5 second test run.

So a couple times this week, I wore it all day.






NARS describes the color Mexican Rose as "hot pink" which is pretty spot on.  It is a bold color, but I'm trying to wear more lip products and sometimes I just need to force myself out of my comfort zone.  And after a couple days of wearing Mexican Rose I have to say I'm kind of in love with it.

NARS describes the Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil formula as "Spectacular shine in an innovative, lightweight formula and enriched with Vitamin E plus a blend of moisture-rich hyaluronic spheres that make lips appear fuller".






The formula reminded me a lot of the Clinique Chubbystick on initial application.  It is closer to a lipstick formula than a gloss, but it really is moisturizing and it does stay glossy and moveable for quite a while.

This wore probably 6 hours on me before I felt like it faded to the point that I needed to re-apply.  A big part of that is that the formula stained my lips pretty significantly.

I haven't tried the Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain, but it makes me wonder if the formulas aren't similar.  Has anyone tried both?  Thoughts?


The big downside for me to this product is that unlike the Clinique Chubbysticks, the NARS Velvet Glosses aren't twist up pencils.  You actually have to sharpen them.  UGH!  Thanks to the incredible pigmentation and wear time I haven't had to sharpen mine yet, but apparently when I do, I need to freeze the pencil first.  This is a recipe for disaster.  I guarantee you that I'm going to put the pencil in the freezer so I can sharpen it and then I'm going to find it at Christmas time when I'm trying to make room in the freezer.  There is no way I am going to remember. 


Don't mind the squinting, there was some incredibly bright morning light piercing its way through my skull.

Contains .09oz of product.  Retails for $24 wherever NARS is sold.

Overall:  8/10 - love the color, love the formula, hate the sharpening.


8 comments:

  1. I really like the color on you but the sharpening is definitely a down side for such a high end product!

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is disappointing at this price point.

      Delete
  2. I started using Nars Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Happy Days, I love this color. It is not that long lasting on me and I am not looking forward to the sharpening part either. I prefer the YSL ROUGE PUR COUTURE Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain, the formula is quite different. It is the best lip stain I have ever tried, very long lasting and moisturizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at swatches of Happy Days. It looks gorgeous. I may have to check out the YSL stains.

      Delete
  3. Looks great on your lips, gorgeous. But that it needs to be sharpen, in relation to the price, that's quite a bummer :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is gorgeous, but the sharpening is a bummer. Ugh.

      Delete
  4. That color is gorgeous on you. You'll remember to freeze/sharpen because the color is so good for you. I've heard Revlon came out with something like this. Have you seen or tried yet?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I appreciate your faith, Judi, but I'm not so sure. I haven't tried the Revlon, but it's on my list.

      Delete