Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: Lush Mask of Magnaminty Face and Body Mask



I have gotten a lot more into skincare recently and particularly, I've been using a lot of masks.  I've used a lot of Lush products in the past, but I've never tried one of their masks.  

I was under the mistaken impression that all Lush masks were their "fresh masks" and had a shelf life of about a week.  Not so.  The Mask of Magnaminty does have a shelf life, but it is considerably longer than the fresh masks.  It's ultimately going to depend on when yours was first mixed up, but I think it's a 3 month shelf life.


The official Lush blurb on the Mask of Magnaminty says:

Mask of Magnaminty isn’t technically a daily ‘facial wash’; it’s actually a deep cleansing face and back mask. China clay and fresh peppermint reach deep down to pull the debris from your pores, giving you that delightful tingly-clean sensation. We add loads of aduki beans to exfoliate flaky or dry skin, vanilla absolute to calm redness and honey to soothe. Our inventors created Mask of Magnaminty to be the ‘ultimate face mask’, intense but not harsh or abrasive on the skin. We recommend using Mask of Magnaminty weekly to keep the skin in good condition.

The consistency is very thick.  It comes in 2 sizes, 11.1oz and 4.4oz.  I picked up the 4.4oz size and I'm betting I can get at least 15 applications out of it.  I've only used it on my face, but it can also be used on the body though that seems like it would be a giant mess.

You just slather on the mask with clean fingers.  To avoid contamination, it's best to scoop a small amount out of the container with a clean spoon rather than just digging in.  When the mask goes on wet, it looks like this:


(It's not the Mask of Magna-Happy obviously.)

The clumpy parts are the aduki beans.  The mask is very pepperminty.  I'm not sure if that really has a beneficial effect on the skin or if it's just to make you feel like it's doing more than it is - like menthol in many cream cleansers, which I HATE.  It seems like the peppermint could be irritating to your skin, but so far it doesn't seem to have done anything to me.

You leave the mask on until it dries - up to fifteen minutes.

When the mask dries, it looks like this:


(Par-Tay)


When the mask completely dries it's hard and it will crack and flake off when you talk and/or smile - which is why I'm looking so darn happy in these pictures - I didn't want to have to vacuum up debris.

Then wet your face with warm water and gently rinse the mask off, gently scrubbing with the aduki beans as you go.  Afterward, my face did feel cleaner and tighter.  It wasn't overly drying.

As far as masks go, I think this is an okay one.  It smells really nice.  it feels all tingly.  It does provide deep cleansing and some exfoliation.  If these are things you like in a mask, I would check this one out.  For me, this isn't my favorite all time mask by a long shot, but it is nice and for a once a week treatment, I do enjoy it even though it is a bit messier than I would prefer.

4.4oz $11.95 from Lush.

Overall: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. I bet your skin looked great when you were done. All pink and peppermint-y! Loved the pictures!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look good when I was done. Thanks!

      Delete