Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: DERMAdoctor Litmus Test

I've been using DERMAdoctor Litmus Test pH correcting & renewing glycolic acid facial moisturizer since the beginning of March.  I originally received a sample from Ulta and really enjoyed it.  I decided to purchase a full size, but Ulta was out of the product for weeks.  I finally went ahead and ordered it from Beauty.com.  (Sephora carries DERMAdoctor products, but not the Litmus Test line).



DERMAdoctor Litmust Test is an entire line of products.  It includes a cleanser, toner and moisturizer.  I've only used the moisturizer.  In regards to the moisturizer, the DERMAdoctor website says:

Litmus Test reestablishes healthy skin chemistry, promotes cellular turnover, soothes and quenches parched, sensitive skin.  Restoring proper equilibrium reveals a luminous complexion, the universal indicator of youthful, balanced skin.

Litmus Test is a comprehensive approach to the challenges wrought by hormonal fluctuations, environmental stressors and aging skin physiology:
  • Glycolic Acid – puts skin into proper pH equilibrium, chemically exfoliates, brightens and renews
  • Urea – powerful humectant quenches parched skin
  • Hyaluronic Acid – hydrating agent holds up to 1000x its weight in water
  • Green Tea – calms and soothes sensitive, irritated skin
  • Red Algae – rich in vitamins A, D, E, F & K and free radical scavenging antioxidant, astaxanthin
Dermatologist Tested & Approved
Allergy Tested, Non Irritating, Non Drying, Non Comedogenic, pH Balanced, Oil Free, Fragrance Free, Dye Free, No Animal Testing


DermaDoctor Litmus Test makes a lot of promises.  And it delivers on them.  I am incredibly impressed with this product.  I do think that my skin has dramatically improved since I started using it.  My hyper-pigmentation is improving.  Some acne issues I was experiencing are resolving.  And overall, my skin feels considerably more hydrated and just looks better.

I use this product at night.  The directions clearly say to use it morning and night, but since some of the ingredients can cause sun sensitivity, I don't use it in the morning.  This product does contain a significant amount of glycolic acid so if you have any scratches or really inflamed blemishes or anything like that, it will sting.

It is pricey at $52 for 1oz of product, but a little does go a long way.  I've been using mine every day for at least six weeks and I haven't run out yet.

The only truly disappointing aspect to this product for me is the ingredient list.  It contains parabens.  I realize that a lot of products out there contain parabens, but considering this line is built on the fact that it was created by a dermatologist it's just ... disappointing.


Overall:  8/10

4 comments:

  1. Besides the parabens it sounds like a great product. Especially that their testing is animal free! Great Review!

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really impressed with everything except the parabens :S

      Delete