Saturday, May 5, 2012

Haul: The Perfumed Court

NOTE:  I have had a number of people contact me in the last several months to say that they have had really terrible experiences lately with The Perfumed Court.  The post below outlines my experience.  I was very happy overall, but your mileage may vary.

I haven't ever really been into perfumes.  I wore them a lot when I was much younger, but then it just fell by the wayside.  For whatever reason, I just really haven't worn perfumes for probably the last 10 years.

But then I got much more into beauty and skincare and when I make purchases for those types of items, invariably perfumes get thrown in as samples.  I just started accumulating so many that I figured I should probably just jump in and figure out what scents I like, which ones I didn't, etc.

A lot of the beauty bloggers and vloggers I follow talk about perfumes a lot.  I'm sure some people can get a fairly clear idea of what the perfume smells like from a description, but I'm not one of them.  I have to smell it.  And especially, I have to smell it on my skin.  I'm sure some people have perfect body chemistry so the smell from the bottle is exactly the same as the smell on their skin, but I am not one of them.  I've had several lovely smelling perfume bottles that were just horrid after an hour on my skin.

Anyway ...  I was reading a perfume review on Temptalia and Christine mentioned The Perfumed Court as a great place to get samples of really expensive perfumes so you can take the scent for a test drive before you invest the money in them - if you invest the money at all.  There are some perfumes on the site where I would never dream of buying a whole bottle.  But I'll pay $10 for a small sample.



The perfume I was specifically interest in was the Tom Ford Lavender Palm.  None of my local department stores stock the scent and really, even if they did I am not going to shell out $195 for 1.7oz of product.  But I did pay $10 at The Perfumed Court for a 1mL sample just to try it out.  (Which is sad because I really do like it, but I'm not going to pay full price for it.).

I am by no means a perfume nerd, so I'm sure some of you will know far more about this than me.  I can look at The Perfumed Court's thorough catalog, but apparently they stock hard to find and discontinued scents as well as more widely available scents.  They also stock the occasional skincare or other sample size items.

For more information, read their What is a Decant page.

I poked around the site and picked some items that I've never seen included as samples.  I inadvertently purchased a trio of Shiseido Pureness Matifying Oil Free moisturizer.  Don't ask, I have no idea what happened, but it was entirely my fault.

The shopping cart function on the website isn't great.  There doesn't appear to be any automated way to modify your order after it's placed.  They do have a contact page and let me be clear - I DID NOT CONTACT THEM.  So clearly, I wasn't bothered enough to actually try and change the order once it was placed.  And I went ahead and placed a second order as well.

I placed my first order on 4/17/12.  I promptly received an email confirmation.  On 4/27/12, I received a confirmation that the order had been shipped.  I received my package on 4/30/12.  I placed my second order on 4/24/24/12 and I received half of it on 5/4/12.  The other half is on back order.

The last couple weeks of April, the Perfumed Court overhauled their website so that may have affected the shipping time.

Here are my shipments.  I did not expect the bags or the candy and I thought they were both nice touches:




Tom Ford Lavender Palm decant.  
Full size sells for $195 for 1.7oz.  
I paid $10 for this 1mL vial.

Guerlain Imperiale Eau de Cologne decant.  
Full size 3.4oz sells for $98.  
I paid $7.49 for 2.5mL spray bottle

Chanel Chance Eau de Parfume decant.  
Full size is 1.7oz and retails for $85.  
I paid $9 for 2.5mL spray bottle.

I am very impressed with this retailer.  I think it is a lovely way to be able to sample perfumes that you don't have easy access to or perfumes that are hard to find or prohibitively expensive.

Have any of you used The Perfumed Court?  What did you think?

5 comments:

  1. Great review!! I've used a similar site (luckyscent) with great results, but the packaging and general service looks so much better on this site! Lucky scent just shipped me my samples in bubble wrap, no bags or sweets :(

    Perfume samples are so so good, especially since I've been buying perfume more from flash sale sites than in store recently!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://lipstickedlouise.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. I hadn't heard of Luckyscent. I may have to check them out too.

      Delete
  2. Its been a month since I ordered from them and still no items. Perfumed court has ignored all emails and I am now forced to file a dispute. Unprofessional sleezbags. Lucky Scent has a smaller selection but Customer Service and security are much better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been a month since I ordered from them and still no items. Perfumed court has ignored all emails and I am now forced to file a dispute. Unprofessional sleezbags. Lucky Scent has a smaller selection but Customer Service and security are much better

    ReplyDelete
  4. They only shipped part of the order (leaving off an expensive portion of it) and claimed the rest was back-ordered. When I further followed up with them they claimed they had shipped the full order and then ignored any additional attempts at contact (emails and voice mails) after that. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER!!

    ReplyDelete