Sunday, May 6, 2012

Beautyfix: My First Beauty Box Subscription!

I've been reading all the blog reviews and watching all the YouTube reviews on the various beauty subscription services out there and I just hadn't found one that really seemed worth it to me.  I didn't want non-beauty items so Birchbox and Little Black Bag were right out.  I didn't want miniscule samples, so anything at the $10/month mark wasn't going to work.  Glossybox just seemed like a giant tease ...

Anyway, I just started googling and eventually ran across the Beautyfix subscription service from Dermstore.  Now I haven't used Dermstore before, so I don't have any good or bad history with them.  It is a pricey box - $49.99.  It comes out quarterly rather than monthly so I suppose if you look at it annually it's not that far off from the smaller monthly boxes like Birchbox or My Glam.

The $49.99 is all inclusive, so there aren't any additional shipping charges like you get with the QVC Beauty Tube subscription (which is also quarterly).  When I signed up, I used the code BFBLOG and got my first box for $19.99.

As far as I can tell, when you first sign up, you are automatically sent that quarter's Beautyfix box.  In future quarters, you get the box at the same time as all the other subscribers.

When I first logged in, I got to pick 8 items to go in my Beautyfix box.  There was a selection of 62 items to choose from and I have to admit, it was a good selection.  I had a hard time deciding on what items to choose because so many of them were so good.  Obviously, this being a beauty box offered by Dermstore, it is predominantly skincare items.  But I LOVE skincare and this is exactly what I was looking for.  They automatically threw in a Beautyfix bag, so I guess technically the box contains 9 items, but you only get to pick 8.

I chose:



Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray 4oz. (retail: $29)
Kinerase Photofacial Cleanser 2oz. (retail? 5oz size is $40)
Vichy LiftActiv With Rhamnose 5 Percent Day 0.5fl oz. (retail? full size 1.7oz is $49)
Glytone Acne Self-Foaming Cleanser 3.4fl oz. (retail $39)
Nick Chavez Ultra Shine Honey-Peppermint Conditioner 8fl oz. (retail $20)
Jane Iredale Magic Mitt 1piece  (retail $15)
Becca Resurfacing Primer 0.5fl oz. (retail? full size 1.35oz is $40)
Perricone Nutritive Cleanser 2fl oz. (retail? full size 6oz is $39)
Beautyfix Cylinder Bag

So do I feel like I got my $19.99 worth?  ABSOLUTELY!

I do realize that with the $49.99 price point and it only coming out quarterly, the odds of getting burned are much higher.  However, given that you do have the opportunity to pick your own items, that's somewhat mitigated.  I'll be interested to see if next quarter they have different products or if it's the same core items each time.

Have any of you tried Beautyfix?  If so, what did you think?

Overall:  10/10






3 comments:

  1. Glossybox is the only subscription service available at the moment in Italy, this bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! In the Netherlands we only have the Glossybox, Blendbox and Truly Yours, all monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I havent heard really of any of those brands but I think the point of these subscription services is trying something new!

    ReplyDelete