Thursday, April 5, 2012

Boring but necessary blog post

I've been going back and forth for a while about the best way to approach this and I don't know that I've found any method I particularly like, so when faced with a situation like that I'll do what I always do and yell 'whatever' and boldly forge ahead.

Every single item I have shown on this blog was purchased by me with my own hard earned money.  So for me, the concept of being able to separate the product from its price tag doesn't really exist.

The other day, I reviewed the E.L.F. All Over Color Sticks and I rated them a 10/10.  And I think they are.  For $1, they're an awesome product.  And they are readily accessible to lots of people.

Are the E.L.F. All Over Color Sticks better highlighters than say the Guerlain Meteorites?  Um, to put it mildly, no.  The Guerlain Meteorities are a fantastically beautiful product.  In my opinion, they're pretty much the platonic ideal of a highlighter.  But they also cost $60.  Before tax.  And unless you have access to a higher end store that sells them, before shipping as well.  (Maybe.  They cost so much that I'm sure you can find retailers who will throw in the shipping for free.)

Don't get me wrong, there are certain high end products that I will gladly shell out a semester of my kid's college fund for and not even feel bad.  But I'm not necessarily going to rate them a 10/10.  Because I do realize that it's crazy to pay that much money.  It doesn't mean I won't do it.  But it does mean I acknowledge the absurdity as I hand over my card.

The one exception to this would be when there just really isn't a more cost effective alternative out there (that I've found.)  The Boscia Make Up-Break Up oil is one for example.  It's $26.  But I think it performs fantastically.  I experimented with making my own alternative, but I really wasn't able to come up with something comparable without going out and spending more money buying the raw materials than I would just pay for the Boscia product.

So anywhere, there it is.  I just figured that I should provide some insight into my reasoning behind how I rate products.  And if you managed to make it through that entire page of blather, bless you.

indie

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said in this post even though it was completely unnecessary. It is nice to know how other bloggers rate their products, but I don't believe they should ever have to fully explain themselves for not liking one product over the other. Love your blog and keep the reviews coming <3

    ReplyDelete