Sunday, April 29, 2012

April Favorites

GirlieReview Favorites:
April 2012


Jergens Natural Glow + CVS Apricot Scrub





Jergens Natural Glow Revitalizing Daily Moisturizer  in Medium to Tan.  I am very pale, especially my legs, but after watching several review on YouTube, I decided to go with the Medium to Tan rather than the lightest formula.  People said that the lighter formula was very orange and the Medium to Tan was more red based and less orange.

I do like this product.  It does have the funky tanner smell, but I really don't know how you get around that.  It's got a great price point.  You can get it anywhere that Jergens is sold for anywhere from $6 - $8 for 7.5oz.  The one caveat for me with this product is to ALWAYS EXFOLIATE FIRST.  And to exfoliate, I use ..

CVS Apricot Scrub.  The grains in this product are very coarse.  It's marketed to be used as a facial exfoliator.  It has both grains and salicylic acid, so double the exfoliation.  I wouldn't use it on my face, but it works well for my legs.  I've been using this before using the Jergens Natural Glow and it's working well.  It's $2.79 for 6oz of product.  St. Ives is very similar but marginally more expensive.  Most drug stores or supermarkets are going to carry either the St. Ives or a generic store brand variant for $6 or less.


Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream nail polish



Apparently this polish was featured in Oprah's O Magazine for April 2012, which I didn't know.  I saw it at Vampy Varnish and knew I had to snag a bottle.  It is gorgeous.  It is a beautiful blue/green super glittery polish.

The glitter is micro-glitter in gold, blue and green.  The polish base is pretty metallic and  fairly opaque.  The last couple of glittery polishes I've tried have had really streaky not-at-all-opaque bases, so the opacity of Mermaid's Dream's base was a very welcome surprise.  It was completely opaque in 2 coats.

This polish wears fantastically well.  In my experience, most glitter polishes will wear better than non-glitter polishes, but even considering that it is a glitter polish, this wears like a champ.  The only downside to that is that when you want to take it off, be prepared to invest some time.

The bottle contains 15mL of product and retails for $18 wherever Lippmann polishes are sold.  (I got mine at Nordstrom).


NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer

I already did a review of this product HERE.

But just to recap, this stuff is magic.  Pricey magic at $42 for 1.9oz of product, wherever NARS is sold.  It comes in 9 shades and as far as I can tell, works great on just about any skin type.







DermaDoctor Litmus Test
pH correcting & renewing glycolic acid facial moisturizer



I included this product in my skincare routine post that I did a while ago, but an actual full review will be forthcoming soon.

DermaDoctor Litmus Test makes a lot of promises.  And it delivers on them.  I am incredibly impressed with this product.  I do think that my skin has dramatically improved since I started using it.

It wasn't the easiest product to find.  Several retailers who carry the DermaDoctor line (Ulta, Sephora), were out of stock on this for weeks, though it looks like it's in stock now.  I ended up getting mine at Beauty.com.  You can also get it direct from the DermaDoctor site.  It is pricey at $52 for 1oz of product, but a little does go a long way.




MAC Lipstick in Fanfare

Fanfare is a Cremesheen finish.  MAC describes it as a "mid-tone yellow pink".  I would describe it more as a nudey peach.  The cremesheen formula isn't my favorite.  I do find it a little drying on the lips, but I do love this color more than enough to put up with a mildly annoying finish.

Like all MAC lipsticks, it is vanilla scented.  As far as I know, it's permanent and it retails for $14.50.



MAC Tres Cheek Blushes
Pink Tea, Immortal Flower, Lovecloud (clockwise from upper left)

I already did full reviews on Pink Tea and Immortal Flower .  Lovecloud is coming soon.

So MAC is pretty much known for the sheer volume of their limited edition collections.  Most of them I skip without a second thought, but the Tres Cheek collection was an exception.  For a MAC LE Collection, I found it shockingly wearable and nearly universally flattering.

There did seem to be some issues with certain blushes having texture issues, but overall, I think these blushes are fantastic.  I apologize, but as far as I can tell, the collection is pretty much sold out from most MAC retailers.  You'll need to judge for yourself whether its worth crusing EBAY if you missed them.

Lovecloud, Pink Tea and Immortal Flower


MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Whisper of Gilt



I've already done a full review on this product HERE.  Like MAC Tres Cheek, this Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Whisper of Gilt is also a limited edition and sold out at most online retailers. You'd need to check with your local MAC counter to see if they still have any (or, again, EBAY if you feel inclined).

The internet tells me this is pretty much exactly the same formula as the Estee Lauder Powder Gelees but with a much more comfortable price point ($29 for 9g of product).

Whisper of Gilt has a beautiful gold finish and I know that it will be a go-to item for me all through spring and summer.


Sephora + Pantone Universe Blush Duo

I did a review on this blush duo HERE.  To recap, I am very impressed.  You get a TON of product - 22g for $26.  It fits with the "Tangerine Tango" theme, but also manages to be very wearable.  The two blushes are thematically similar, but not at all redundant.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of getting Jergens Natural Glow so I wont be as pale as a ghost when I go on vacation soon. Do you recommend it for other parts of the body like arms, face, stomach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have one that's specifically made for the face. I think it would be fine on the stomach and the only issue with the arms would be to make sure you exfoliate first and get it rubbed in really well around your elbows.

      Delete