Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2012 Beauty Resolutions

A couple of months ago my BFF, Ree at Grow & Create, announced that despite being a new mother (of the most adorable little boy on the planet, I tell you) she decided she was going to start wearing jewelry.  Ree has lots of jewelry and it's super cute. But she'd gotten out of the habit of wearing it.  And might I say she has been doing fantastically well with her plan.

But it got me thinking about the gaps in my own routines.  I didn't have to look far.  Lips and nails.  (and hair, but that's another post.)

Background:  Over the last 4 years or so I have gotten progressively more and more into taking care of myself. I am sure there are cynics out there who would say that it's just an excuse to spend money.  And while I don't necessarily dispute that statement, I also think there is a whole lot more to it than that.
I've gone through phases of being no-maintenance (not low maintenance, NO maintenance.  Like astroturf or vinyl siding) to being very high maintenance - the getting up two hours before you need to leave the house maintenance.  There was a stretch from 2005 - 2008 where I did virtually nothing to take care of myself.  No makeup, ratty old clothes, nada.
Then, inspired mostly by What Not To Wear, I got a lot more into clothes, shoes and accessories.  I got to the point where I felt confident with my ability to put together an outfit and a lot more willing to step outside my comfort zone with clothes and accessories.
Close to two years ago, completely by accident I discovered YouTube beauty gurus and entered the world of beauty blogs.  Before that I had no idea it existed.  It was a bit painful at first.   While I really understood certain parts of makeup, there were other things that are now staples for me that I'd never really heard of before.
I am pretty confident with my beauty routine now.  I still do a whole lot of experimentation, and I am definitely still learning, but for the most part my beauty routine is fairly rounded out.  With two glaring exceptions, lips and nails.
For most of my life, I have avoided wearing anything on my lips other than lip balm.  In my teens and early twenties I clearly remember avoiding it because I felt like my lips were so huge I didn't want to draw attention to them.  (WHAT!?!?!)  For the record, they weren't.

I've also avoided putting anything on my nails because my nails tend to be really short all the time because they are in such pitiful condition.  My nails are really soft.  They break and peel and chip.  For example, yesterday morning I was feeling pretty confident about how they were looking and then by the end of the day almost all of them had broken or torn and I ended up having to file them all off to nubs again so I'm back at square one.

But I am making an effort.  I am wearing something on my lips every day even if, like today, it's only gloss.  I also picked up a couple more lip products because I really didn't have many.  So there will be some reviews of those coming up shortly.

As for my nails, I will endeavor to take better care of them and paint them even though they're short.  I do have a good number of nail polishes.  For me at least.  I haven't counted, but I probably have 20 polishes, so that's more than enough to get me started.  And I will paint my nails even though they're short.  I have had good luck lately with the Sally Hansen nail sticker things.



So that's what's going on with me.  What about you guys?  Do you ever make beauty resolutions?  If so, what are they?

Cheers,
indie

8 comments:

  1. :D

    In addition to the jewelry thing, I've decided to make an effort to wear skirts or dresses to work a certain number of times this year. I've already done it three times and my co-workers have stopped being surprised by my dressing up. The first time I wore a skirt, my boss tried to hide his surprise but he only barely managed to close his mouth before he made a comment. LOL.

    I've worn makeup a couple of times, but honestly, if it's between sleep and makeup I'm going to sleep. Maybe after Oliver is counting his age in years rather than months, I'll try for a makeup goal. I do want to try out some of your looks though, but those will have to be weekend outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you not mention the skirts and dresses?!?

      Delete
    2. I can't believe I didn't tell you about that!

      Delete
  2. I have very similar nails to you plus Im a biter :o
    About a month ago I decided to have them painted at all times; it couldnt make them worse!
    I have a shoebox full of pretty polishes just sitting there drying up. I had bought them because they looked so good but they rarely made it to my nails. Since my nail makeover I am happy to say, that although they are still thin and weak, I dont bite them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm hopeful that if I take better care of my nails that their condition will improve. Or I suppose if I have them painted maybe it won't be so obvious. lol.

      Delete
  3. I have lots of resolutions for this year. I want to learn cat eye liner. I am getting there slowly! My biggest one is to use more of what I have and experiment with different looks from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using what I have and experimenting should definitely be on my list as well!

      Delete
  4. I'm very proud of you! It's never too late to gain confidence in who you are. I can kind of relate to you - sometimes, ok a lot of the time, I refrain from dressing 100% the way I want with all the accessories and bolder makeup on a daily basis. But I'm slowly stepping out of that fear because my close friends keep ensuring me and encouraging me that no one will judge. I love dresses and when people ask, I just tell them how it's so much easier picking out one dress to wear as opposed to one shirt and one pant and having to squeeze into tight, restricting jeans. Do anything you can to make yourself feel more comfortable being who you are! Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete