Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: butter LONDON - Wallis, Blagger

I am getting more into nails, but as the swatches will soon show, my nails are in a terrible state.  They are always nubs and because of that, I have tended to avoid polishes.  But I've decided to love the nubs and I'm getting into the habit of regular manicures.  

Most nail polishes will wear for 2-3 days on me max before they are so chipped that I have to remove the polish.  Butter LONDON, awesome as it is, is no exception.

I have two Butter LONDON shades.  The first is Blagger, a stunning blue color and then Wallis, a metallic golden green.


Blagger is a really bright royal blue.  It contains no shimmer and it is pretty much opaque in one coat though I did apply two coats just to get longer wear out of the manicure.  

I purchased this shade online from Beauty.com and if you look closely you can see that along the top of the bottle is a small chip in the glass.  It's not deep enough to compromise the bottle, but it was still a little disappointing.  I think I'll be purchasing polish in person from now on.

I've had this shade for a couple of weeks now and I am absolutely in love with it.



Natural Outdoor Light

Indoor, Flash


I picked Wallis up this winter at Ulta and I have been obsessed with it.  The color is just phenomenal.  It's a very golden green olive color with a definite metallic finish.  I was so obsessed with this color that I spent a significant amount of time trying to base eye looks off the color combination.  I was never entirely happy with the results.  I just wasn't able to find an eyeshadow that could truly capture the beauty of Wallis.

At first, this one was a bit of a pain to apply.  The formula doesn't move very well.  I apply it to my nail and then it's fairly difficult to brush out.  It's like it's just glued to where I first place the brush.

I've found that applying a base coat and letting it really dry before applying the polish definitely helps with this and the polish will apply fairly evenly and easily.  It's not nearly as opaque in one coat as Blagger, so I generally apply two or three coats.  The swatches below were taken with two coats.



Outside Natural Lighting


Indoor, Flash

Is Butter LONDON really worth $14 a bottle?  Eh.  Maybe.  Like I said before, I have only ever found one polish (Sephora by OPI in Natural Environ-mint) that will last for more than 2 days.  Butter is no exception.  It flakes off me just like the rest of them.

I do think that they have some fairly unique colors.  Is it significantly better than OPI, China Glaze and Zoya?  Not in my opinion.  But it is still cheaper than Nars and a lot of other department store brands.

My favorite thing about Butter LONDON is the packaging.  I absolutely love the rectangular bottles and yes, I am willing to pay a premium for them.  On occasion.

Overall: 7/10

2 comments:

  1. I really like the wallis color, though it is disappointing to hear that for the price the quality isnt the best =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd love it if more expensive polishes were A LOT better, but it doesn't seem to work that way. :(

      Delete