Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Daily Skincare Routine

I thought about individually reviewing the skincare products that I use daily and I may still do that, but I decided to just do an overview.  If you're interested in a more in depth review of any of the products, just let me know.

Morning Routine:


Water - I start off with just a water rinse.  If I have extra time (which is rare) I may use the Bliss mask (more on that later), but usually it's just water.
Salicylic Acid - After rinsing my face, I'm using the Alba Natural AcneDote Deep Clean Astringent.  It contains 2% salicylic acid and so far isn't drying out my skin.
Moisturizer - I use a Neutrogena daily moisturizer with SPF 50.  They have a couple of different types and I just bounce back and forth on them.  This is the one I'm using right now.


This is my morning routine regardless of whether I'm going to wear makeup.  Most days I do go ahead and follow up with a liquid foundation or a tinted moisturizer.  All of my foundations and tinted moisturizers contain SPF as well.  Anywhere from SPF15 to SPF30 depending on the product.  I am really worried about sun exposure and I make sure I always wear SPF.


Night Routine:

Cleansing - First thing, I take my makeup off.  A lot of days I'll do this as soon as I get home from work - if I have time.  I use my beloved Boscia MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil.  It takes off every bit of makeup including waterproof eyeliner and mascara without stripping the skin.  I absolutely love it.


Salicylic Acid - I use the Alba Acne Dote Deep Cleaning Astringent again.  I tend to concentrate on my jawline where I tend to get a lot of congestion.


Moisturizer - At night, I really don't ever use anything with SPF.  

In the winter, I will typically use a heavier moisturizer like the Garnier Ultra Lift Intensive moisturizer - which is really similar to the Clinique Repairwear, but at a fraction of the price.  However, it's not winter.  It's spring and a very warm spring at that, so I'm using something lighter.  

Right now I'm trying out the DermaDoctor Litmus Test moisturizer.  

I decided to try this because my skin had been breaking out so much recently.  It has Glycolic acid, Urea (which may be great for parched skin, but that's the stuff in pee and sweat, right?!?), Hyaluronic Acid, Green Tea and Red Algae.  But as you can see from the ingredient list, it also contains parabens.  I didn't realize that when I purchased it and I am very disappointed.  

I have to leave some time between using the salicylic acid and applying this or else it burns.  But if I wait, there's no issue.  It does seem to make my skin softer and I have had less breakouts.  The instructions say to use it morning and night.  I won't use it in the morning because it doesn't contain SPF, but I do like it at night.

I also have to be careful about the amount of this product I apply.  I have to really make sure to rub it into my skin.  If it just sits on top of my skin, it gets sticky, which is super annoying.

Extras - I'm bad about remembering to use masks, but when I do remember, I've been liking the Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask.  When you put it on your skin, it foams.  I enjoy the way it feels.  And it smells really nice.  I don't particularly think it makes my skin look any better, but it is a nice something extra every now and then.  At this price point, I will not be repurchasing.

Here's an accompanying video I did on my routine and products.






2 comments:

  1. so funny to look at someones skin routine! and i'm bad at mask routines as well.//Azure

    ReplyDelete