Friday, February 24, 2012

Sephora Haul pt. 1: Nars VIB

Last week, Sephora was running a promotion where if you spent more than $35, you could use a code to get a special Nars bonus pack.  The promotion went out to Sephora VIBs (I think you only need to spend $100 annually at Sephora to be a VIB), but I'm not sure that they actually checked to make sure provided you had the Nars code at checkout.

Anyway, I used this as an excuse to pick up the Smashbox brown eyes palette I'd been coveting.  And while I was at it, I picked up a set of Anastasia Mini Must Haves so I could try out their products.

Here's a pic of everything:


In addition to the Smashbox palette, the Nars VIB bag and the Anastasia minis, I also got 3 samples (2 perfumes and an eye cream.)

For this first post, I'm just going to cover the Nars VIB bag.  I'll post the rest of the haul later this weekend.

So, here's the bag and all the packaged up products:


The VIB bag included:
  1. 1/4 size mini Nars Illuminator in choice of "Copacabana" or "Orgasm"
  2. 1/4 size mini Nars Bronzing Powder in "Laguna"
  3. Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
I'm not sure about the whole choice of illuminator.  I don't remember picking a color at all.  It's fine, I'm not complaining.  Even if I had picked, I would have picked Copacabana, which is what I got.  But still.

Illuminator:

As I said above, it supposedly came in either Orgasm (shimmering peach) or Copacabana (glistening pearl).  I got the Copacabana.

The sample is .32oz (8mL).  A full size Illuminator is 1.1oz (32.5mL), so this sample is 1/4 size.



This product is absolutely gorgeous.  I cannot wait to try it out.  I'll put it up against the Tarte illuminator as well as the L'Oreal MagicLumi and let you know what I think.

Bronzer:

Nars bronzer in Laguna is an absolute staple for lots of people, your truly included.  I already have the Nars Blush/Bronzer Trio (which has hideous packaging, FYI) and I wear bronzer rarely enough that it's going to take me a long time to get through it.  So, this mini bronzer is going to go in the bag for the giveaway I'm planning.

This bronzer sample is in the same packaging as the regular Nars eyeshadow singles, so it's 2.5g of product. A full size bronzer is 8.75g, so this is just over 1/4 size.


As a reference, here it is next to a regular size Nars eyeshadow single:
This is a complete tangent, but see how the new mini bronzer is all matte and beautiful and my old eyeshadow single is all shiny and scuffed?  Well, as it turns out that matte, textured plastic coating that is on the outside of all the Nars compacts (except the trio, but that's another story) eventually breaks down over time and turns into this disgusting tacky mess that everything sticks to.  I finally had to take alcohol and scrub down the outside of the eyeshadow compact to get rid of it so it wouldn't be so grossly sticky.  And of course, now it's super shiny.  This does take a loooonnnngggg time.  I've probably had that eyeshadow for *mumble* 15 years or so *mumble*.  But yeah, if you keep them long enough, they get gross.

And just because I took a picture of it here's a picture of the eyeshadow and bronzer open.  The eyeshadow is in Night Flight and it has terrible fall out, fyi.

And as another point of reference, here is the mini bronzer next to my full sized blush/bronzer trio:

Eyeshadow Base:

I have to admit, I know absolutely nothing about the Nars eyeshadow base.  Also, I have more eyeshadow bases right now than I know what to do with.  So, like the mini bronzer, this will be going in the giveaway.  

This mini sample contains 2.8g of product.  A full size eyeshadow base contains .26oz, so this is what, about 1/10 size.

Here are pics:



Well, that's it for now.  I will post the rest of the haul later this weekend.  I hope you all have a lovely evening and take care.

Cheers,
indie