Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Review: L'Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer

The L’Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer launched (I believe) in Fall/Winter 2011.  It has generated a good amount of buzz, IMO mostly because of the price point and availability.  L’Oreal is a drugstore brand and so while this product isn’t super cheap, it is within most people’s budgets.  In the U.S., it’s available just about anywhere drugstore makeup is sold for right about $10 - cheaper if you can find coupons.

Despite it being called a primer, the offical press release from L’Oreal doesn’t seem to indicate that you should use it at all like a primer.  Their suggested uses:

  • use it alone (no foundation)
  • mix it with foundation
  • use it as a highlighter

So, no priming going on there :(

The product definitely has a pearly sheen, but no glitter.  It’s very emolient and a little bit will go a long way.  

I tried using it as a primer and I found it to be pretty ineffective.  If you’re using it under anything but the absolute sheerest foundation, you’re not going to notice it at all.  It definitely doesn’t do anything to refine the skin surface before applying foundation.

Mixed with foundation, the consistency of the foundation is the determining factor in how much oomph you’re going to get out of it.  I mixed it with 2 foundation, my MAC Select SPF 15 and my Neutrogena Healthy Skin.

The MAC Select SPF 15 has a natural matte finish and I really didn’t notice much difference when I mixed it with the Magic Lumi.

The Neutrogena Healthy Skin is a very emolient foundation with a dewey finish and I got way more payoff when I mixed the Magic Lumi with it.  It wasn’t crazy frosty or anything, but definitely noticeable whereas I didn’t think it was with the MAC Select SPF 15.

As a highlighter itself on top of either foundation, it was okay.  I really don’t think I’d use it in leiu of my other highlighters. Mostly, this product just doesn't deliver for me. I'd be curious to see what it does on deeper skintones or on a more oily complexion. For me, it just doesn't really do a whole lot at all.

Swatches*:



MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation - flash

MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation - sunlight

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation - flash

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation - sunlight

Overall:  5/10

*there is obviously an art to swatch photography.  I applied the product like I would actually use it (as opposed to packing it on for better payoff on camera) and as you can tell, the photos are pretty useless.  You really can't see much difference at all.  UGH.  I'm working on this.  I promise I'll get better.