Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Impressions: Tarte One Fine Clay Collection

I've had the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed for months and I love it.  I probably wear it 3 times a week.  But it's been the only Tarte product I've had.

So, when I saw that Ulta had the Tarte One Fine Clay collection, I decided to pick it up.  It arrived today and I decided to post pics and my initial reactions.

Here's the entire collection


It includes:

  • Purple quilted makeup bag
  • Half-size Blusher in "Peaceful"
  • Third-size Bronzer in "Park Avenue Princess"
  • 1/5 size "Smooth Operator" illuminating serum
  • Full size smolderEYEs waterproof eyeliner in brown
  • Full size "gifted" smart mascara in black
  • eye pencil sharpener
I don't think it's exclusive to Ulta but it's not available directly on the Tarte site.  It retails for $39.00.

bag:
It's cute.  Purple on the outside, pink on the inside with a gold pull.  I'm not a huge connoisseur of makeup bags, but it is nice.  And it's big enough to be useful.


Blush:
As I said earlier, I've had one of the Tarte blushes (I'm going to quit prefacing every item with "Amazonian Clay" since they're all Amazonian Clay) in "Exposed".  I really like it and was very excited to pick up another Tarte blush.

The blush with this set is "Peaceful".  As far as I can tell, this isn't one of the shades that's readily available.  But it does look like it is often included in sets that Tarte does.  This is a 3.4 g of product whereas a full size blush is 5.6, so it's slightly larger than half-size.  (I'm including a picture of it next to a full size for comparison and is it just me, or is the tiny blush the cutest thing you've ever seen?  Maybe it's just me.)  Also, unlike a full size blush, the half size "Peaceful" does not include a mirror in the compact.

The color is beautiful.  It's a pretty true peach, not too orange, not too pink.  It does have a tiny bit of shimmer, but nothing close to the actual shimmery blushes from this line.

Bronzer:
This is the Tarte Mineral Bronzing Powder in "Park Avenue Princess".  "Park Avenue Princess" is shimmery gold whereas the "Hotel Heiress" in the same line is described as a deep bronze.  I compared "Park Avenue Princess" side by side with my Nars "Laguna" bronzer and it looks really similar to me.  

A full size bronzer is 9g and this sample is 3.2g, so it's just over 1/3 regular size.  The packaging is super cute.

It looks like it has a good bit of shimmer, but I'm wondering if it's going to be like the Nars Laguna where the shimmer is just in the top layer and the rest is matte.



Illuminator:
This is the item I was most curious about.  I have been on the hunt for a good illuminator and I'm hoping that Smooth Operator will pan out.  

A full size Smooth Operator is 1.7oz.  This sample is .3oz, so this is less than 1/5 regular size.

I've only played with it a tiny bit so far, but it looks gorgeous.


Eyeliner:
I am really not a fan at all of kohl type eyeliners, but this stuff is gorgeous.  It is this rich bronze color.  I love it.  I suspect I won't actually use it as a liner, but I'm sure I can find a use for it.  

This is a full size product as far as I can tell.  It's got the liner on one end and a smudger sponge on the other.  There is also a sharpener included in the set.



Mascara:
Like the liner, this is full size as far as I can tell.  I like the applicator brush and I am really curious to test this product out.





So that's it for now.  I will update after I've given these products a good try.  My initial reaction is very good.  I think this set was reasonably priced and I am genuinely interested in everything in the kit.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I followed! I would love it if you could check out my blog and follow me? Thanks so much! http://camigmakeup4u2c.blogspot.com

    -Cami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I followed your blog, it looks fabulous.

      Delete