Saturday, March 12, 2011

UPDATED: Skincare Routine Pt. 1 Cleanser/Microdermabrasion

So I have all of these product reviews that I have half composed, but I'm thinking maybe I should just begin at the beginning as it were ...

On that note, I give you my skincare routine review.  In the interest of full disclosure, there are two factors that definitely affect the way I review skincare products.  The first is that I have incredibly dry skin.  Even in the middle of summer.  Second is that I have really bad vision and I wear hard contacts (more on that later).


First up ... Cleanser.  


Philosophy Purity Made Simple




I picked up my bottle of Purity Made Simple as part of a Sephora Beauty Insider 500 point gift, so it's a very little bottle.  I like it quite a bit.  My skin is so dry that I usually use a cream cleanser (cheap, Target brand ones usually).  I have tried lots of cleansers, including some really pricey Murad ones, but I didn't like any of them as well as I've liked Purity Made Simple.    I haven't had any issues with the Purity Made Simple cleanser drying my skin at all, which is a small miracle.  It's been great.  It has a really nice scent, no drying.  
Overall, great product 8/10.

Microdermabrasion


DERMADoctor Physical Chemistry






I went to my local Sephora with the intention of picking up more Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasion.  (Side Note:  My Sephora is terrible about consistently offering products.  I'll go there one week and they have a huge display dedicated to a line and the next week, they don't even carry it in store anymore.  So frustrating!)  As usual, they no longer carried the product in the store .  Anyway, no Dr. Brandt (10/10, AWESOME product).  But the associate suggested I try DERMADoctor.  I'd never heard of it, but she raved about it so much that I picked some up.  The two products are very comparable in terms of size and cost ($75 for just under 2oz.)

Unlike the Dr. Brandt's product (which I still LOVE, btw), the DERMADoctor product needs to be applied to dry skin with dry fingers.  That's not a big issue, but I used the Dr. Brandt's product in the shower, which was convenient.

I found out after the fact that DERMADoctor must have just changed their packaging to include a pump.  The math on this one isn't so hard.  Thick product + exfoliating granules + pump = DISASTER.  I'm not the only one who thinks this.  After looking at the online reviews, the stupid pump is the single biggest complaint by reviewers.

The product itself is really quite nice.  I'm not really prone to breakouts, but I do get them occasionally and the DERMADoctor cleared them up super fast.  Overall, my skin looks really good right now.

My biggest complaint again with this product is the stupid pump, which doesn't work.  The bad pump combined with the fact that you have to use it on dry skin means that I found myself using A LOT more of the DERMADoctor product per application as compared to the Dr. Brandt's.

Bottom line, it's a good product, but at that price point, it needs to be a GREAT product.  Next time I'll be going back to Dr. Brandt's.



Overall, DERMADoctor Physical Chemistry 7/10.